What a bizarre, yet surprisingly pleasant combination!
One of my absolute favorite herbs is thyme. When I saw this recipe, I knew immediately I had to try it, even though I was tempted to add some vodka or gin. NOTE: You won’t often find that I will go out of my way to make a non alcoholic drink!
It reminded me of something resembling eastern medicine. The flavor was sweet, from all the sugar, but the peppercorns and cloves had a mildly spicy and even numbing effect. I could feel it for hours afterward. Though, that could be because I drank too much or used the wrong proportions of syrup and soda.
Oh well; live and learn!
Pink Peppercorn Thyme Soda
Now of course there are times when you should probably not drink so instead of the usual boring soda, water or my personal favorite – diet peach Snapple there is the pink peppercorn thyme soda.
- 8 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons whole pink peppercorns plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme sprigs plus 8 additional sprigs for garnish
- Ice cubes
- 4 cups chilled club soda
- Toast anise, 2 tablespoons peppercorns, and cloves in small skillet over medium-high heat until aromatic, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Wrap spices in triple layer of cheesecloth; tie shut. Pound with rolling pin to crush spices lightly.
- Bring 3 cups water and sugar to boil in medium saucepan. Add spices in cheesecloth. Remove from heat; cover and steep 15 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup thyme sprigs; cover and steep 10 minutes longer. Strain syrup into medium bowl. Chill until cold. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- Fill 8 tall glasses with ice. Divide syrup among glasses.
- Add 1/2 cup soda to each glass. Garnish with thyme sprigs and peppercorns.