Ma Po is a Chinese sauce made from fermented soy beans. Though, lets be honest, how many foods from China aren’t fermented or related to soy beans?
Anyway, this dish is usually made with soft tofu and ground beef. I did not have those things on hand, so improvised.
Ma Po Tofu with roasted Veggies and Sausage
- 1 large eggplant cubed into approximately 2″ cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 cups fried tofu
- 3 links of bratwurst
- 1 cups snow peas
- 3 tablespoon ma po tofu sauce
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Roast eggplant in the oven. After about 15 minutes, add the green beans and ginger. Wait another 10 minutes and add the tofu to the oven. Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, cook up the bratwurst. Set aside to cool.
- Saute the snow peas in a large pan until just soft. Add the roasted vegetables to the pan. Then, slice the bratwurst and (you guessed it) add to the pan.
- Lastly, add the ma po sauce.
- Serve over rice.